European Union Delegation to Sierra Leone
The mission of PivotPath, in partnership with the European Union Delegation to Sierra Leone, was to ensure maximum exposure of agro-technology initiatives in Sierra Leone through the successful receipt of the Delegation’s Call for Proposals.
Under its Jobs & Growth Programme, the EU delegation to Sierra Leone launched a call for proposals for agro-technology development. The purpose was to increase private sector investment in technology and innovations in the country. This is a uniquely competitive opportunity for Sierra Leonean organizations and SMEs seeking to develop and/or expand sustainable agro-processing and agribusiness innovation and technology.
The Agro-Tech call for proposals was designed based on the positive experience gained under the Agro-business Development from Organic Resources (ADORE). This is an initiative funded by the European Union and jointly implemented by the Welthungerhilfe organisation, Moawoma cooperative, Lizard-Earth and Door to Europe companies. In collaboration, the group aimed to support production and processing of organic cacao into chocolate bars made in Sierra Leone.
The ADORE project will stimulate the sustainable growth of the Sierra Leonean agri-business sector, particularly in Kenema and Kailahun. The project aims to build inclusive partnerships between value chain stakeholders at all levels by linking farmers with the national and international markets.
- 4 Video productions featuring Ambassador Vens announcing the call for proposals.
- A virtual information session that was attended by over 210 interested applicants, and highlights from the EU funded ADORE project.
- 11 Newspapers and specialized magazine coverage, social media coverage throughout the campaign initiative, with over 33 publications.
- A series of articles written and approved on agriculture innovation and technology development in the world.
- This included a specific case study in neighbouring countries and in Sierra Leone to illustrate the relevance of the initiative shared across 12 newspapers and magazines.
- 4 Radio jingles in rotation across 13 radio stations in the country. Jingles in English, Krio, Temne and Mende.
With the successful promotion of the Agro-Tech Development initiative, agriculture can play a vital role in boosting the country’s economic growth. These initiatives can provide sustainable and climate-smart agro-development. In turn this can improve agriculture efficiency and promoting economic self-sufficiency for young (and seasoned) agri-preneurs, particularly women.